If you’re like me, always trying to improve your skin’s condition, if you have blemish prone or acne prone skin, this is the article you have to read. Today I will share with you my best tips and tricks that have changed the appearance and texture of my skin dramatically. Without further ado, I present you my top 10 acne remedies:
1. Gently remove your makeup with a foam cleanser at night, and use it also in the morning. This will not only save you time because you don’t have to rub the product on the skin to create the foam, but from my experience with face cleansers, the foam ones are the most gentle. The one I use is from Uriage, but there are other amazing foam cleansers for acne prone skin, that contain neem, lemon extract etc.
2. You HAVE TO use a gentle scrub/second cleanser that contains salicylic acid, twice a day. This is so important, it makes a huge difference for oily/acne prone skin. It smooths out the surface of the skin by unclogging the pores and shrinking them. My personal favorite is Garnier Pure Active 3 in 1, although I only use it as a wash/scrub, never used it as a mask.
3. After washing your face, rinse it with COLD water. This is also one of the best things you can possibly do for your skin, and doesn’t cost you a thing either. I usually cleanse my face with pretty hot water. People say it’s not good for the skin since hot water will strip your face of its natural oils, and I agree. But this is my way of removing makeup deeply from the pores. After doing this I will switch to warm water and then cold water. I use cold water for 2-3 minutes.
4. Let your face air dry after washing. I always do this, both morning and night, and I keep bacteria away from my pores. I prefer not to use a clean towel since bacteria is literally everywhere, air drying seems the safest method to me.
5. Before applying your liquid foundation, use a serum instead of a moisturizer. After washing my face as mentioned above, I apply a serum that is not sticky at all. The reason I do this is because liquid foundation, especially the ones that have SPF, are pretty heavy products. If I use a moisturizer before the foundation, the makeup is not only going to slide off during the day and I’ll look like a light bulb, but my pores are going to clog. Not pretty! This doesn’t apply if you’re using a powder foundation, by the way. The serum I use is this one from URIAGE:
6. Apply just a little bit of foundation. Even if the coverage won’t be that great, the point is too make your skin tone more even so that the blemishes won’t be that obvious. If you cover them too much, you will be covering your pores too, resulting in more blemishes. Let your skin breathe, and it will thank you.
7. Wash your brushes, sponges or whatever you like to use for applying makeup. Some women actually don’t pay attention to this, mostly because they are busy. I wash my foundation brushes once a week, and during that week I keep them stored in a dry place, well covered, preventing dust in the air from sitting on them.
8. Massage your skin with coconut oil every night, after washing. Coconut oil IS NOT comedogenic, although a lot of people avoid using it. Their mistake is that they apply it and leave a thick layer of the oil on the skin and of course their pores get clogged. The right way of using it is to massage it on the skin for three to five minutes until your face is smooth but not oily anymore. Coconut oil works wonders and improves the texture of the skin like no other product. Very important: it has to be virgin and organic. If it doesn’t smell like pure coconut, if it’s too cheap and it doesn’t say virgin and organic on the package, look for other brands.
9. Don’t use the “natural” acne remedies you read on the Internet except for aloe vera juice and oils. Most of them are irritants like lemon juice, baking soda and alcohol. These ingredients should be used only in products that were created by people who know how to develop a good cosmetic formula. I would really suggest to stay away from applying them directly onto your face.
10. Drink a lot of water. As cliché as it sounds, water is amazing for the skin. It removes toxins from your body and hydrates the skin from the inside out. So carry a bottle of water with you wherever you go and stay hydrated.
You might want to check this article as well, in which you will find a short review of some of the mentioned products.
All right guys, these are my top 10 acne remedies that actually WORK if you do them daily. Try them out and let me know how they worked for you!